Saturday, September 5, 2009

Just a thought.....

As I was finishing up some last minute gifting for my husband I had to make a run to Wal-mart. My niece was with me and we were really trying to hurry but still not feel rushed-been there? As we are standing in line to pay I realize the woman in front of me is just talking away to the cashier. Now, by the look on the cashier's face the advice she was recieving was unsolicited and she was trying so hard to be polite. She had lost her voice (which always sounds funny to say) so she didn't have the luxury of saying anything that might end the conversation. Now don't get me wrong- I am a talker and I do my fair share. But I also try to listen too. So the perdicament of the checker really got me thinking. Here she is FORCED to listen. She is a captive audience and she has no choice but to listen to whatever pearl of wisdom each customer has to offer. Now I wonder how often I actively listen instead of just talking to fill space- being that overly talkative "customer" instead of really listening to what is going on. In all this the cashier still managed to keep a smile on her face and as we checked out and turned to leave she handed us a note that said "Thank you.. Have a great day!".
I now plan on working harder at listening in my life and at not only what others are saying but what the aren't saying as well. Silece can be golden after all. Just don't expect at 3 1/2 year old to understand!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

One of the many things I admire about you is how you truelly listen & see the things that are not being said.You did this exact thing with me.
Alisa