Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Just Call it A Teachable Moment...

Yesterday evening, Gavin and I went to Sears to purchase a carpet cleaner. He was in his stroller being his normal fiesty self while I looked at the different models before finally choosing one. (In)Conveniently the cleaners were located directly across from the tv's and other media including the movies- the ridiculously priced movies. After begging for several minutes for a movie that was "his favorite" he finally resumed his place in the stroller. I could not believe how sweet he was being. You know the drill: puppy dog eyes looking up at you with those sweet long eye lashes and that toothy grin?
We headed to the car to load up and drive around to pick up our purchase at the loading dock. When we got to the car he is still being almost disgustingly sweet- handing me my purse, smiling and nodding. Then, I learned WHY! He leaned up from his stroller seat to climb out and low and behold there lies a Space Buddies DVD. My child the Klepto!! I was physically ill! I looked at him and told him we had to go back inside and he smile and said "so I can have it?". NO!! No you cannot have it!! I told him how we don't steal things and how it not only breaks momma's heart but Jesus' heart too and then I made him go back inside and take the movie to the nice gentleman who had waited on us and apologize. I know I did the right thing but part of me wonders if I could have done better before hand to have prevented it in the first place. Thus, our teachable moment...
On a side note, Kris says maybe we should frisk him from now on! Oye!

0 comments: