Thursday, January 29, 2009

Book fiend

My goal for this year has been to read atleast one book a week. I LOVE to read and would rather read than just about anything else. So far I am well on target and I thought I would share what I have read so far:
"The Reader" by Burnhard Schlink (has been made into a movie that is currently showing. Great read- hard to put down and ended unexpectedly)
"A Secret Word" by Jennifer Paddock (written by a former Fort Smith resident and has lots of references to places in Fort Smith that you will recognize)
"He Was Her Man" by Sarah Shankman (mystery-sort of. Set in Hot Springs Arkanas. Enjoyed it WAY more than I thought I would)
"The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey (great info on money management)
"Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict" by Laurie Viera Rigler (set back in the 1800's as well as current time- again liked way more than I thought- but strange ending.)

I usually don't like Mystery or period pieces but I am trying to broaden my horizons. I have to say I truly enjoyed all of these books and can't wait to read more by these same authors.

5 comments:

Carol said...

Jennifer, I belong to a book club and I will take some of your books for suggestions. We read a variety, not always intellectual. But books that I might not have read on my own. A book a week is a high goal, I wouldn't get ANYTHING else done. Thanks for your blogs, and I love keeping up with family and friends.

Carol

Anonymous said...

I wish I could read as fast as you do and still understand what I just read! I'm jealous! good luck on your goal although i'm sure you don't need it!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could read as fast as you do and still understand what I just read! I'm jealous! good luck on your goal although i'm sure you don't need it!

Southern Fried Gal said...

I love the name of your blog and admire your love for reading. I wish I like to read more. Thank you so much for stopping by today! As you probably saw on Shelly's blog I am originally from Alma! How long have you lived there?

JHalmes said...

We have lived in Alma for a little over 3 years now. I am originally from Clarksville, (Shelley is my cousin) and my husband is from Ozark where we lived before that.